Preserved Tanks .com
    World Register of Surviving Historic Armoured Vehicles

Current Query: Full entry for the tank(s)/location: by Type and Update, Location & Update with Spare Photos, NavPix & Videos

Query Buttons: All tanks at this location.


Royal Ordnance Factory Dalmuir, Clydebank, Dunbartonshire, Scotland, Britain

Powered By Subgurim(http://googlemaps.subgurim.net).Google Maps ASP.NET
Powered By Subgurim(http://googlemaps.subgurim.net).Google Maps ASP.NET

MAP CONTROLS: Use slider or mousewheel to zoom, and hold down left mouse button to drag.
KEY: Location markers are coloured from Green meaning exact to Red meaning gone or unknown (details here)


Sample Photo from Location



Location Category ID: 3895
Added to Database: 23 April 2011
Last Edited: 23 April 2011
Address: 1 Auld St, Clydebank, West Dunbartonshire G81 4
Telephone:
Email:
Opening Times:
Official Website:
Other Links: Wikipedia – ROF Dalmuir
Wikipedia – William Beardmore
The Glasgow Story
Glasgow History
Latitude, Longitude: 55.90659013 , -4.42718983
Location Accuracy: 6
Tanks Previously Here: Models of tank built here:
1: FV214 Conqueror Heavy Tank - Mark 1 (Primary manufacturer)
2: FV214 Conqueror Heavy Tank - Mark 2 (Sole manufacturer)
3: Conqueror Armoured Recovery Vehicle - Mark 2 (Probable sole manufacturer)



ROF Dalmuir was an Engineering Royal Ordnance Factory owned by the British government during World War II. The factory manufactured medium-calibre guns, particularly anti-aircraft guns. After the war, the factory manufactured armoured fighting vehicles.
Part of the site of the former William Beardmore and Company's Naval Construction Works at Dalmuir on Clydebank was bought by the Ministry of Supply, in January 1939, and it was converted into an Engineering ROF. The Naval Construction Works had closed down in the January 1931, with much of the equipment and plant sold off by auction. Some of the works’ buildings were used by the new ROF, as they had already been converted by Beardmores for reuse as a locomotive works, tank manufacture and artillery manufacture. Other buildings were demolished and new buildings erected for the ROF. ROF Dalmuir started production as a Royal Ordnance Factory under the control of the Ministry of Supply, it opened on 16 January 1941. In August 1941 it was handed over to William Beardmore and Company to run as an Agency Factory; and it returned to ROF Management control in September 1944. It produced QF 3.75 inch AA and 4.5 inch (114 mm) gun anti-aircraft guns.
In 1951 ROF Dalmuir was converted to manufacture armoured fighting vehicles and this continued until 1957 when the site was leased to Babcock and Wilcox of Renfrew on a 15 year lease. Babcock and Wilcox stopped using the ROF site in 1969 and the Ministry of Defence sold the site in 1970. Many of the buildings were demolished between 1971 and 1973 and Clydebank Industrial Estate was created. Part of the site is now occupied by the Golden Jubilee Hospital and the Beardmore Hotel. (Source: Wikipedia).

Location Images - Photographs and NavPix (click to expand or browse)

March 2008

View of Clydebank East from near Beardmore Hotel, photo by S. Sweeney
1: View of Clydebank East from near Beardmore Hotel, photo ...

Taken: 30 March 2008
Contributor: Geograph
Location Photo ID: 453
Added: 23 April 2011
Views: 127
Has Priority: 0
    

    

    

1916

A naval gun made at William Beardmore & Co during the First World War, photo from Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums via TheGlasgowStory.com
2: A naval gun made at William Beardmore & Co during th...

Taken: 1916 (Estimated)
Contributor: CRFU
Location Photo ID: 452
Added: 23 April 2011
Views: 53
Has Priority: 20