Preserved Tanks .com
    World Register of Surviving Historic Armoured Vehicles

Current Query: Full entry for the tank(s)/location: by Type and Update, Location & Update with Spare Photos, NavPix & Videos

Query Buttons: All tanks at this location.


Allis-Chalmers Manufacturing Company, LaPorte, LaPorte County, Indiana, USA

Powered By Subgurim(http://googlemaps.subgurim.net).Google Maps ASP.NET
Powered By Subgurim(http://googlemaps.subgurim.net).Google Maps ASP.NET

MAP CONTROLS: Use slider or mousewheel to zoom, and hold down left mouse button to drag.
KEY: Location markers are coloured from Green meaning exact to Red meaning gone or unknown (details here)


Sample Photo from Location



Location Category ID: 64800
Added to Database: 8 November 2011
Last Edited: 9 November 2011
Address:
Telephone:
Email:
Opening Times:
Official Website:
Other Links: Wikipedia
Wikimapia
LewRockwell
Latitude, Longitude: 41.61646099 , -86.72714173
Location Accuracy: 7
Tanks Previously Here: Models of tank built here:
1: M8 High Speed Tractor - M8 HST (Sole manufacturer 1950-5)
2: M4 High Speed Tractor (Sole manufacturer - factory unconfirmed - 1943-ca 1944)
3: M6 High Speed Tractor (Sole manufacturer 1944-ca late 1940s)
4: M50 Ontos Self-Propelled Recoilless Rifle (Sole manufacturer 1955-7)
5: M50A1 Ontos Self-Propelled Recoilless Rifle (Sole manufacturer 1955-7)



Allis-Chalmers Manufacturing Co. first entered the manufacturing business as E.P. Allis of Milwaukee in the 1840s. The company soon became a major manufacturer of steam engines and industrial equipment in the Milwaukee area after merging with other firms. It entered into the farm equipment business in 1914 at about the start of World War I. The company would also play a major part as a manufacturer in World War II, building pumps for uranium separation as part of the Manhattan Project, electric motors for U.S. Navy submarines, and marine steam engines for Liberty ships. A series of acquisitions was made by the company from the 1920s to the 1950s including in 1931, Advance-Rumely based in LaPorte, Indiana. The company began to struggle in the 1980s in a climate of rapid economic change. It was forced to sell its farm equipment division to K-H-D (Klöckner-Humboldt-Deutz) AG of Germany in 1985, the owners of Deutz-Fahr, which was renamed Deutz-Allis. What remained of the manufacturing businesses were dispersed in 1998 and the company officially closed its offices in Milwaukee in January 1999. (Source: Wikipedia).
The Rumley Company in LaPorte, Indiana, began in the 1800s. By the 1900s it had adapted the early stream engine tractor to kerosene and manufactured the Oil Pull farm tractor. This ponderous and slow giant could pull a sixteen-bottom plough, which was just what prairie farmers needed. As part of Allis-Chalmers’s diversification into farm machinery it bought Rumley in 1931. The LaPorte factory was called the Harvester Division because it designed and built the all-crop harvester, also known as the combine, as well as the round-bale hay baler, and various other farming implements. The LaPorte plant closed in 1984. (Source: LewRockwell).

Location Images - Photographs and NavPix (click to expand or browse)

1944

“This photograph of Allis-Chalmers employees at the La Porte Works shows a World War II scene typical of U.S. factories. Having converted to war production from their regular line of agricultural harvesting equipment, Allis-Chalmers was busy with government contracts for machinery to be used in the war effort. In this view, the workers are shown finishing a 90 m.m. gun.”, photo and caption from LaPorteCountyHistory.org
1: “This photograph of Allis-Chalmers employees at the La P...

Taken: 1944 (Estimated)
Contributor: CRFU
Location Photo ID: 599
Added: 9 November 2011
Views: 95
Has Priority: 0