Preserved Tanks .com
    World Register of Surviving Historic Armoured Vehicles

Current Query: Full entry for the tank(s)/location: by Type and Update, Location & Update with Spare Photos, NavPix & Videos

Query Buttons: All tanks at this location.

Letterkenny Army Depot, Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, USA

Powered By Subgurim( Maps ASP.NET
Powered By Subgurim( Maps ASP.NET

MAP CONTROLS: Use slider or mousewheel to zoom, and hold down left mouse button to drag.
KEY: Location markers are coloured from Green meaning exact to Red meaning gone or unknown (details here)

Sample Photo from Location

Location Category ID: 88400
Added to Database: 13 August 2010
Last Edited: 13 August 2010
Telephone: 717-267-5102 (Public Affairs)
Opening Times:
Official Website: Letterkenny Army Depot
Other Links: Wikipedia
Latitude, Longitude: 39.99260768 , -77.63467312
Location Accuracy: 3
Tanks Previously Here: 1: M41 Walker Bulldog Light Tank - War Veterans’ Memorial Park, Saint Petersburg, Pinellas County, Florida, USA (Until 1970)
2: M41A3 Walker Bulldog Light Tank - Patton Museum of Cavalry and Armor, Fort Knox, Kentucky, USA (Until May 1969)

Letterkenny Army Depot, the Center of Industrial and Technical Excellence for Air Defense and Tactical Missile Systems, was established in 1942. The facilities at Letterkenny are used to conduct maintenance, modification, storage, and demilitarization operations on tactical missiles and ammunition. Its origins are in 1941, when Letterkenny was chosen by the U.S. Department of War to be one of twelve new ordnance depots. On 18 December 1941 the Secretary of War, Henry L. Stimson, issued the directive to acquire 21,000 acres (85 km²) at Letterkenny for a depot. Letterkenny’s mission would be to reduce the surplus of forthcoming war materiel and to store and ship ammunition, trucks, parts, and other supplies. The first shipment of ammunition arrived by train on 23 September 1942. More than 3 million tons of supplies were moved during World War II. Letterkenny was one of the largest depots of its kind and was called the Springboard of Invasion in 1944. It became a permanent military installation on 1 July 1954.
There are two vehicles on display at the Letterkenny Army Depot (source: T. Dinackus).

Location Images - Photographs and NavPix (click to expand or browse)

There are currently no pictures in this album.