MAP CONTROLS: Use slider or mousewheel to zoom, and hold down left mouse button
KEY: Location markers are coloured from Green meaning exact to Red meaning
gone or unknown (details here)
Click here or on the image for this location's profile page
The Ostbau Werke was a factory that built vehicles for Germany during the Second World War. It was originally based in Sagen, in Silesia – now Żagań in Lubusz Voivodeship, western Poland.
A special detachment of 80 men was created whose sole job was to assemble the Flakpanzer IV Wirbelwind and they were essentially equipped to the level of a field repair shop and nothing more. The specially-modified Flakvierling 38 guns, mounts and elevating and traversing mechanisms were supplied by a subsidiary of the Hermann Goering Werke, Vienna Arsenal, while the finished turrets came from FAMO in Breslau. All the crews had to do was the final assembly of the turrets to the hulls and mount the radios, small equipment, tools, etc. (Source: FineScale.com).
The Wirbelwind was produced by the Ostbau Works from the summer of 1944 to November of that year. The successor to the Wirbelwind, the Ostwind, was due to follow it on the production lines but before production began the major machine tools of the Ostbau Works were moved to the facilities of Deutsche Eisenwerke in Teplitz, and then to Duisburg, due to the danger of being overrun by the Soviets.
The Ostbau plant was located on the north-eastern edge of Żagań at ul. Kożuchowskiej 26, now the headquarters of a meat wholesaler (source: Goniec Żagański).